The World Hospice and Palliative Care Day:
In preparation of the October 8th day Cancer Prevention Center (CPC) presented at the American Academy of Tbilisi (AAT) on September 30, 2011. This presentation was to educate and invite the student to actively take part in the awareness campaign about benefits of healthy lifestyle, avoiding chronic diseases and palliative care. The AAT students received invitation to come and join the activities on October 8, 2011.
CPC in collaboration with Open Society Georgia Foundation (OSFG) hosted the event at the center on October 8, 2011. CPC used the theme of this year’s event to invite policy makers, healthcare providers and insurance companies to bring awareness about the benefits of Palliative Care for those living with life limiting illnesses.
CPC recognized the highlights of the last year’s activities, and shared the vision of the future home of CPC. The program covered the followings:
• The opening ceremony was presentation of the poster by OSFG, where last year’s donors were named
• Honored guests were recognized
• Dr. Abesadze presented the ESMO certificate that recognized CPC as the “ESMO Designated Center of Integrated Oncology and Palliative Care”
• Pati Dzotsenidze, Rema Gvamichava, Ioseb Abesadze gave a short talk about the day and the events preceding the day
• Participants celebrated the day with refreshments
• At the conclusion of the ceremony at CPC, a number of the participants joined another event by holding a banner and marching to Pheristsvaleba Monastery.